Over the past five years we’ve trained, failed, and multiplied a lot of missional communities. Several years ago we moved to a more formal training (and re-training) process to set and reset the identity and commitments for each missional community. We found this is important because it’s human nature to drift from your values and commitments.
A group may start off with bold aims for engaging non-Christians with gospel hope, showing mercy to their city, and being a “family” not meeting. When we set out with these aims, we’re driving upstream, against our self-centered, cliquish cultural current. However, everyone experiences mission and community drift. In order to remain focused and stay behind Jesus, not cultural currents, we need reminders, guides, and communally formed commitments. This is why we created a Missional Community Primer.
- Every missional community goes through the Primer at the beginning of the year.
- The process is very conversational, with the aim of applying our core values into clear, firm commitments
- We conclude the process by drawing up a Missional Commitment that everyone agrees on
- We occasionally pull it out through the year to celebrate, repent, or redirect.
Feel free to check it out, copy it, download it, improve upon it, or whatever you like (just include a link back or footnote for folks to find it).
Too many people find the gospel unbelievable because of the incredible ways we communicate it:
- Name-dropping Jesus at work to feel good about your Christian duty
- Arguing about political issues as essentially Christian
- Recruiting people to your church and not to Jesus
- Regurgitating information about the death of a first century Jewish messiah without taking the time to love and know others.
Our gospel communication is often dry doctrinal communication, devout of love or any real understanding about a person, how the gospel would be good news in their bad news. This, in part, is why people find the gospel so unbelievable,
In this 200+ page book, I’m taking on the whole gospel communication enterprise. Pray for me! I am exposing unbelievable evangelistic methods, unbiblical motivations, and unfaithful gospel messages. Then, charting a winsome, wise, and culturally discerning way forward in gospel communication.
I’m excited to announce the GCD Books Monday release of Dr. Alvin Reid’s new book, Gospel Advance: Leading a Movement that Changes the World. The book is a great introduction to movements, and how anyone can join the historic movement of the gospel.
This could be the next book that puts you, your disciples, or leaders over the hump of complacency into the thick of true missional living. Short, punchy, and inspiring! Buy it, read it, but most importantly, do it!
Two apologetic articles I wrote happened to be published this week, one on free will/sovereignty of God and one on the question of religious pluralism (which is a reprint). This certainly isn’t on the last word on either topic but I hope they’re helpful!
Sovereignty and Free Will
What Makes Christianty Unique among world religions?