We’re called not to mere soul-winning, but to distinctive discipleship: heralding a worldly gospel of a fleshly Christ who humbly accommodates human culture and understands the human condition.
One of my favorite Christmas gifts is the Africa Bible Commentary! Though I was disappointed that Lamin Sanneh, and Kuame Bediadko were not included among the commentators.
Here is a sundry list of things I read that made a particular impression on me this year. They were not all published this year. They are not necessarily my favorites, and they include fiction, non-fiction, previously read, etc. In no particular order…
- Falling Man, Don DeLillo.
- Harrison Bergeron, Curt Vonnegut
- Central Themes in Biblical Theology, ed. Hafemann & House
- Seeing Through Cynicism, Dick Keyes
- Total Church, Chester & Timmis
- Paul: A Fresh Perspective, N. T. Wright
- n + 1. a twice-yearly print journal of politics, literature, and culture.
- How Children Raise Parents, Dan Allender.
- The Moral Vision of the New Testament, Richard Hays
- Disciples of All Nations, Lamin Sanneh
- “Converts or Proselytes?: The Crisis Over Conversion in the Early Church,” Andrew Walls IBMR 28
- “Anaesthetic Ideology,” Mark Greif n+1 vol. 5
- “Things I Wish I Had Known When I Planted My Church,” Next Wave
Tim Tennent’s second major book, Theology in the Context of World Christianity explores Systematic Theology from a Global perspective. Tennent takes an interdisciplinary approach, relying on biblical exegesis and contextual theologies to present the various doctrines that comprise systematic theology in a global perspective. Here are the table of contents:
1. The Emergence of a Global Theological Discourse
2. Theology: Is the Father of Jesus the God of Muhammad?
3. Bibliology: Hindu Sacred Texts in Pre-Christian Past
4. Anthropology: Human Identity in Shame-Based Cultures of the Far East
5. Christology: Christ as Healer and Ancestor in Africa
6. Soteriology: Is “Salvation by Grace through Faith” Unique to Christianity?
7. Pneumatology: The Holy Spirit in Latin American Pentecostalism
8. Ecclesiology: Followers of Jesus in Islamic Mosques
9. Eschatology: Jonathan Edwards and the Chinese Back to Jerusalem Movement
10. The Emerging Contours of Global Theology